Canton Rotary supported local and international projects focused on our Vision. Here is a short list of what we accomplished.
· We supported Starfish Family Services, www.starfishonline.org, by hosting Candy Canes and Kiddie Rock at Cherry Hill Village Theater, bringing in Mr. Steve of SteveSongs, a national PBS kids act. The event was a literacy and health initiatives event where children were able to visit with Santa and receive age appropriate books in promotion of literacy, they were able to play games and also, got to participate in an energy-filled show with Mr. Steve www.stevesongs.com.
· We provided a grant in support of Francis Mustapha, a National Teachers Hall of Fame inductee (www.nthf.org/inductees/1994/Francis/Mustapha) in his efforts to build and staff schools in Madina Village in Sierra Leone. He has a blog documenting his progress at http://www.fwgoodshepherd.org/missions/mustaphablog.php#apr2013.
· We granted Canton Library funds to support literacy and ELL services.
· We granted Detroit Area Diaper Bank funding in support of their mission to provide diapers to Metro Detroit neighbors (children and adults) www.detroitareadiaperbank.org.
· We reserved funds and are organizing, supporting and coordinating grant efforts to The Rotary Foundation for a $700,000 water and sanitation project that will provide two poor villages in El Salvador potable water piped to their homes. The project will be the largest of it’s kind and will be solar powered with ultra-violet filtration.
· We supported the End Polio Now campaign. We are this close…see http://www.endpolio.org/. When Rotary joined this campaign in earnest in 1988, there were 125 polio-endemic countries and only 71 polio-free countries. At the end of 2012, there are 3 polio-endemic countries and 193 polio-free countries. We expect that it will be only 2 polio-endemic at the end of 2013. Still much work to do, but we are very close.
· We participated in working at Open Door Food Pantry, several evenings throughout the year, http://www.opendoorfoodministry.org/.
· We supported the Salvation Army back to Plymouth/Canton schools backpack program by shopping together for school supplies and backpacks.
· We prepared, assembled and delivered Holiday baskets to Canton Seniors.
· And we hosted a number of speakers covering various topics of local, state and international interest.
Rotarian Martha Snow sworn in as Wayne County Circuit Court Judge.
Honorable Brian Zahra, Justice, Michigan Supreme Court Administered the Oath Of Office.
Canton and Livonia Rotary Clubs
Click on below photo of Presidents Wayne Titus, Colleen Dolan-Greene and Pat Moore to see more photos.
Rotary Club of Canton - Official Visit
Rotary Club of Canton
"Basic English as a 2nd Language Program "as we had Joice Silagy and Rev. Rocky Barra from the Connection Church of CantonPresident-elect Wayne Titus, Joice and Rocky
Rotary Club of Canton - Program
Honorable Judge Ron Lowe of the 35th District Court